Alors, there was that not so recent après-midi of realisations of things that should make my life better, ideally while I'm away from ma famille and my friends and others who I think I should miss. So, in their absence, I try to make sense of my new life here in Séoul. And one that led me to a lot of dreamy self-realisations of sorts was spending a couple of hours at one of my favourite department stores here called Shinsegae... while the rest are part of systematic heres and theres that often get into a Gemini mind.
1. My three minutes of cool à la McQueen: trying on this pair of lunettes by Persol... and there never was a pair that looked so good on me. So, those few minutes facing the mirroir at Shinsegae in these lunettes de soleil were something quite magical. It's just too bad I have to watch out on my expenditures the time I saw these Persols.
2. Pour une sensualité plus forte: Serge Lutens' Ambre sultan au mon quotidien.
3. Lipsynching to Serge Gainsbourg's "La Noyée" in my veste croisé from Lanvin and assuming my age affords me a bit more poise, pudeur and refinement. Bien sûr, it was avec une cigarette! Such moments have to be subsumed into some form of aesthetic experience.
4. Daydreaming of owning costumes & vestes frpm Brioni. At this point in my life, they are a little too aspirational because of the price points but on the brighter side of things, I have something to work hard for! So, en tout cas, ambitions will drive me closer to my first Brioni in my garde-robe!
5. A trip to the Shilla Arcade here à Séoul to familiarise myself with the right pair of lace-ups I should be owning and wearing out (with grace) by means of John Lobb.
6. A la légère: circumstances seem to drive me to a diet consisting of more fruits de mer ici à Séoul. So, my favourite spaghetti bolognaise would be ineluctably replaced by seafood marinara or some seafood pasta dish dans la plupart de temps.
7. My leisure read these days: Les Chants de Maldoror de Lautréamont.
8. Légèrement overjoyed that I share the same star sign with some of mes musiciens fétiches: Stephen Malkmus, Bob Dylan, Ben Kweller et Nick Drake... who are all sous le signe des Gémeaux.
9. A real must-have album for me these days: Post-Empire de Will Stratton.
10. Face au tableau de Lee In-sung, I realised even more the inherent puissance of being Asian. And so je cite de mémoire this particular quote from him: "I would like to tell [you] that paintings are not photographic; they are a separate world in which the artist's aesthetic consciousness is represented... fundamental coulours are born from the mother's womb... Western orientation... on the contrary might eliminate one's own artistic characteristic; it is a dangerous course, I think."